- 1.1 lb/ 500 gr Sardines
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- parsley, dill or mix 1 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 optional Hot Red Chile Pepper
- 3 TBSP Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seed Paste (Tahini)
- handful Cherry Tomatoes
- for garnish Fresh Cilantro
If you’re looking for a delicious super tasty fish kebab, try this one. I tried this recipe with sardines and anchovies and both fish kebabs were brilliant. It’s a lot easier to make than you think. I used home cured sardines and anchovies but you can use fresh fish or store bought cured fish.
Sardines and Anchovies are among the healthiest choices you can make when eating fish. Both fish are low in mercury and high in omega 3 fatty acids and protein. Both also provide other nutrients, including potassium, iron, phosphorus, protein and B vitamins and perfect for the fish kebab.
Making the fish kebab is easy and don’t take a lot of time but you need extra time to let the batter sit in the fridge for about an hour after combing everything together.
- About 25-25 fish fillets of Anchovies or Sardines (1.1lb/500gram)
- Red onion medium size
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Mix of parsley, cilantro and dill – you can mix them or use just one of them. Use a lot of greens 3/4-1 full cup
- High quality sea salt
- ground black pepper (or white)
- 1 egg
- Teff flour or chickpea flour about 1/4 cup
- Optional hot red pepper if you like it a little bit spicy
- olive oil about 3 TBSP
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
There are 2 ways to make the fish kebab, you can cut everything with a knife or blend it with a hand mixer. Both options are great and i usually prefer the knife version but this time i really enjoyed the flavors when i chopped everything with Bamix hand mixer. To start cut the sardines or anchovies to small cubes move it to a small pot and add all the rest of the ingredients. Chop everything with a hand mixer and make sure everything is blend together. Move to the fridge for an hour.
Heat a grill pan or regular pan at first almost without olive oil. soak the hands with a little bit of olive oil and make kebabs out of the batter put them on the hot pan and grill the kebabs until they get browned. Do the same on both sides you can also add some sliced cherry tomatoes to the pan and grill them too.
Serve the fish kebabs with Tahini, grilled tomatoes and some fresh cilantro. I served it with a side of okra.