about 1.5kg Whole Duck
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 head Cauliflower
1/2 head Garlic Cloves
Optional for non keto Sweet potato
Optional for non keto White Potatoes
You’re going to love this keto roasted duck with vegetables. Almost everyone loves duck but most of us consider it to be a dish to eat on holidays or fancy restaurants. I urge you to reconsider it and if you planned to make chicken for the weekend try this keto roasted duck instead. It’s surprisingly easy and so delicious.
I found out that ducks are much easier to find these days and they are not expensive (at list from the farm I get it). A few more benefits of ducks to consider:
- Ducks are much more resilient than chicken and in most cases are grown without antibiotics or growth hormones.
- It’s an excellent source of protein and healthy fat as well as micronutrients including selenium, iron, and niacin. Selenium and zinc, both of which encourage good cellular metabolism
- Duck fat is a healthy fat for cooking. Duck fat contains linoleic acid which is extremely beneficial for cells, repairing and strengthening them. Its chemical composition is closer to olive oil than to butter
- Duck alone does not contain any carbohydrates which makes it a perfect protein source in the keto diet.
Make sure that the farm you buy from doesn’t fatten the ducks, feed them with healthy, quality food, and keep them in a cage-free open space environment.
Preparing the roasted duck
So now that we know that duck is a great option you’ll be happy to know that making a keto roasted duck is delicious and super easy to make. The cooking is very similar to cooking chicken but it’s much richer in flavors. To make the keto roasted chicken you can use a glass bottle. Stick the bottle into the duck to keep it form but it’s really an option. Most of the times I skip the bottle and its not a problem.
Salt and pepper the duck and place it on a grill net and below set the veggies you plan to make in an oven rack. The duck will render a lot of fat all over the veggies and will give them an unbelievable taste.
Set the over to 150C/300F for 80 minutes and occasionally brush the veggies and duck with the rendered fat. After 80 min increase the heat to 160c/310f and keep cooking for another 40 min depending on your oven. When the keto roasted duck is ready it will have a nice brown color and it will be easy to cut through it with a knife.
If you’re on a keto diet use cauliflower, garlic, and broccoli for the veggies. If not keeping low carbs or other people aren’t add potatoes and sweet potato too.
When hosting guests serve the duck on a butcher it looks really impressive.
Tip: when buying the duck ask to cut the wings and the throat so you can make a duck stock from it.
1. Preheat the over to 300f/150c